top of page

Group

Public·37 members
Egor Koshelev
Egor Koshelev

Powershell V2 Windows 2008 R2

The function you posted following mine doesnt work very well, and will never work in PowershellV2, [PSCustomObject] wasn't supported until v3. Furthermore if you send a dns query that would normally return a single address, it returns nothing. For queries with aliases, it returns the aliases where the ipaddress should be. Test Resolve-DnsName2008 -name www.stackoverflow.com -server 8.8.8.8.

Powershell V2 Windows 2008 R2

I have used PowerShell fairly extensively in our environments and haven't run into this error before. The error is not present when running commands from $Server2008 on $Server2003. In addition the error is not present when running commands from a production domain. I can also ping the 2003 or 2008 server regardless of which machine I am logged in as.

Question: Can a 2008 SQL instance be used as the witness for a 2005 database mirroring setup? This question was sent to me via email. My reply follows. Can a 2008 SQL instance be used as the witness for a 2005 database mirroring setup? Databases to be mirrored are currently running on 2005 SQL instances but will be upgraded to 2008 SQL in the near future.

Windows ENA driver version 2.2.3 is the final version that supports Windows Server 2008 R2. Currently available instance types that use ENA will continue to be supported on Windows Server 2008 R2, and the drivers are available by download. No future instance types will support Windows Server 2008 R2, and you cannot launch, import, or migrate Windows Server 2008 R2 images to future instance types.

Windows Management Framework (WMF) 5.1 contains PowerShell 5.1. By default Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 runs the older PowerShell version 2. By downloading and installing WMF 5.1 to a Windows Server 2008 R2 system, we can upgrade it to PowerShell version 5.1.

This also works with Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2. By default Windows Server 2016 already has PowerShell 5.0 installed, so this is not required there. Note that to upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 you must be using Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Before we download and install WMF though, we must first install .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later, as this is a prerequisite for WMF 5.1 in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and by default 2008 R2 SP1 comes with .NET 3.5. You can download a newer version of .NET from here:

By first updating the .NET Framework and then installing either WMF 5.0 or 5.1, we can upgrade our PowerShell version to support Just-Enough Administration (JEA) in older versions of Windows, such as Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, and 2012 R2.

PowerShell was initially released in November 2006 for Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows Vista. Its second version comes bundled with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Also, PowerShell 2.0 is released as a standalone package for Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP2, and Windows Vista SP1.

With the release of Windows 8, Microsoft shipped PowerShell 3.0, that can also be installed for Windows 7 SP1, for Windows Server 2008 SP1, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. PowerShell 3.0 doesn't support Windows XP.

PowerShell 5.1 was released along with Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It became available for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2 users on January 19, 2017. PowerShell 5.1 introduced editions to the app. The Core edition is bundled with Windows Server 2016 Nano Server, while the Desktop edition targets traditional versions of consumer and server editions of the OS.

Solutions provider takeaway: This chapter excerpt offers information on PowerShell commands, uses, features, enhancements and command types in Windows Server 2008 R2. PowerShell can help solutions providers accomplish many tasks, including service and process management.

Until now, Windows users and administrators primarily have used the Windows Explorer or cmd command prompt (both shells) to interact with most versions of the Window operating systems. With Microsoft's release of PowerShell, both a new shell and scripting language, the current standard for interacting with and managing Windows is rapidly changing. This change became very evident with the release of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, which used PowerShell as its management backbone, the addition of PowerShell as a feature within Windows Server 2008, and now the inclusion of PowerShell as part of the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems.

In this chapter, we take a closer look at what shells are and how they have developed. Next, we review Microsoft's past attempts at providing an automation interface (WSH) and then introduce PowerShell. From there, we step into understanding the PowerShell features and how to use it to manage Windows 2008. Finally, we review some best practices for using PowerShell.

This chapter excerpt on Automating Tasks Using PowerShell Scripting (download PDF) is taken from the book Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed. Solutions providers can use this book to learn about Windows Server 2008 R2 migration, administration, deployment and troubleshooting. This book also provides information on management and security tools and features, such as Hyper-V's Live Migration.

As such, PowerShell is the approach Microsoft had been seeking as the automation and management interface for their products. Thus, PowerShell is now the endorsed solution for the management of Windows-based systems and server products. Over time, PowerShell could even possibly replace the current management interfaces, such as cmd.exe, WSH, CLI tools, and so on, while becoming even further integrated into the Windows operating system. The trend toward this direction can be seen with the release of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, in which PowerShell is part of the operating system.

Windows Server 2008 R2 has the Windows PowerShell 2.0 version built in to the operating system. In this version of PowerShell, a number of enhancements have been made to both PowerShell itself and the ability for managing Windows Server 2008 R2's roles and features. The following is a summary for some of the improvements in PowerShell 2.0 (these features are talked about in greater detail later in this chapter and throughout this book):

Omar Droubi has been in the computer industry for more than 15 years and has co-authored Windows 2003 Unleashed. Ross Mistry has spent more than a decade in the computer industry and has also published Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management and Administration.

Printed with permission from Sams Publishing. Copyright 2010. Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed by Rand Morimoto, Michael Noel, Omar Droubi and Ross Mistry. For more information about this title and other similar books, please visit Sams Publishing.

[UPDATE] Instructions below are for Windows Server 2008 which does not have PowerShell or .NET support for Server Core. Windows Server 2008 R2 released later, has native support for these, so you can simply follow these Microsoft instructions to enable PowerShell there:

This is the most tricky part. PowerShell needs .NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0 is supposed to be a component of Windows Server 2008 so we will have to get a package of the framework which can get installed on such a system. To accomplish that we will:

Im logged in as administrator so i dont expect permissions problems, i was running the msi from an external drive so i decided to copy the msi to the c:\ drive but im still getting the same access denied. I downloaded powershellv2 ctp so im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I have not been doing this for a while now that Windows Server 2008 R2 supports PowerShell on core natively. So yes if Microsoft changed some of the packages since then, I guess you need to find how to get the files from the new ones. Please post back the info if you manage to find the new way. Or switch to R2.

Obviously, one would have to test this in their own organization through normal test processes. If anyone has gone through this, and has specific results (products that depended on powershell 2.0 so required the feature to be not removed or reenabled) please respond. My hope is to feed this list to Microsoft so they can curate an official list like the SMB1 product clearinghouse.

My wish for the readers of this post is that you find this completely irrelevant and wonder why folks would wish to inflict powershell v2 on themselves now that we are on a much improved v5. However the reality is that many many machines are still running windows 7 and server 2008R2 without an upgraded powershell.

As I was working on Boxstarter 2.6 to support Chocolatey 0.9.9 which now ships as a .net 4 assembly, I had to be able to load it inside of Powershell 2 since I still want to support virgin win7/2008R2 environments. Without "help", this will fail because Powershell 2 hosts .Net 3.5. I really don't want to ask users to install an updated WMF prior to using Boxstarter because that violates the core mission of Boxstarter which is to setup a machine from scratch.

Unmanaged PowerShell by Lee Christensen (@tifkin_) is the foundation for most PowerShell attack tools running outside of powershell.exe. It starts up .NET & performs in-memory loading of a custom C# assembly that executes PowerShell from an unmanaged process.The Metasploit PowerShell module leverages unmanaged PowerShell since March 2016.

PS>Attack PowerShell code runs in the earlier version of the PowerShell engine, if available.This means that if a system has PowerShell v2 (Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2), then any PowerShell code executed is not logged. Event if PowerShell v5 is installed with system-wide transcript or script block logging.

To get Certificate Sharing Container the use the two commands found below. The first command is only needed on Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2 servers. Windows 2012 servers and later should automatically have the snap-in enabled.

On Windows Server 2008 R2 you have Powershell 2.0 on board. There are plenty of reasons to update them to new version 5.0. Fortunately Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 supports newest release. How upgrade Powershell version on Windows Server 2008 R2? 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page